By Kathy Zucker • Friday, January 17, 2014
This week, my seven year old daughter started winter swim classes at the heated indoor pool at Sky Club Fitness. All those summers of swim have been paying off – she tested at a level five. From now on, we will be calling her “Sting Ray.”
I had a hard time restraining my one year old from tearing her clothes off and diving in.
What other options are available in or near Hoboken to keep kids swimming toward summer? A reader sent me the following information.
- Here’s the info on Stevens pool: http://www.
- And you guys are already familiar with sky club but I wanted to include it for completeness: http://
- The “piranhas” swim team operates in the summer, but apparently there is a winter “swim clinic”. Some info is here http://jerseycitynj.gov/
recreation.aspx?id=3880 and ht tps://www.facebook.com/ jcpiranhas/info , but if you want more info, you should contact them. It looks like it may be operated by the Jersey City so it is limited to Jersey City residents.
- Newport swim & fitness offers lessons but it appears that you have to be a member. Here’s the website: http://www.
- Hamilton Health & Fitness offers swim classes to members and non-members: http://
- The main location for Scarlet Aquatics is in Paramus but they also offer a team option in Hoboken at Stevens. Here’s the website: https://www.
teamunify.com/Home.jsp?_tabid_ =0&team=njnjwst It’s rigorous – 8 and under kids meet 3 times each week.
- St. Peter’s appears to offer lessons but I can’t find anything about a swim team. http://www.saintpeters.
edu/rlc/aquatics/swimming- lessons/ (ps their “Swim & Sports” camp looks pretty awesome: http://www. saintpeters.edu/rlc/aquatics/ camp-peacock/)
New York City
- Asphalt Green recently opened a pool at Battery Park City in Lower Manhattan – a number of Hoboken moms have been taking the PATH train or ferry in to bring their kids in for lessons and swim teams. http://www.asphaltgreenbpc.org/c-9-p-Youth-Aquatics.aspx
Kathy Zucker, CEO of Metro Moms Network and Managing Editor of Metro Mom Magazine, mother of three young children and New York Life Keep Good Going Shorty Award winner and judge, writes about juggling career and family in an urban setting. She blogs at MomCondoLiving.com, tweets @KathyZucker, posts pics on Instagram, gets down to business at LinkedIn, cracks jokes on Facebook and gets outdoors on Youtube. Email is Kathy@MetroMoms.Net but the fastest way to get in touch is Twitter or Facebook.